Baked Custard Recipe
A smooth, creamy and rich custard recipe that doesn't use a grain of sugar?
There’s no sugar at all in this old baked custard recipe.
I found this particular recipe in a cookbook that was published in 1918.
What You’ll Need:
- 2 or 3 eggs, beaten slightly
- 1/4 cup of honey
- 2 cups of scalded skim milk
- 1/3 teaspoon of either nutmeg or cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
Baked Custard Instructions:
- Thoroughly mix all of the ingredients, and pour into custard cups.
- Bake the custard cups set in a pan of hot water (the water should be at about the same level as the custard in the cups).
- This old recipe doesn’t say how long or at what temperature to cook the custard, but borrowing from other custard recipes, 350 degrees F for 25 – 30 minutes should be close to correct.