Nut Honey Cake Recipe
This is an old-fashioned nut honey cake recipe that uses equal measures of honey and brown sugar for sweetening.
This recipe is from a 1921 cookbook.
What You'll Need:
- 1 cup of honey
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- 2 eggs, separated
- 9 tablespoons of shortening
- 3/4 cup of sour milk (Fresh out of sour milk? Make instant sour milk by putting 3/4 tablespoon of either lemon juice or white vinegar in a 3/4 cup measure, and pouring in enough milk to complete the cup. Let it sit for about 15 minutes before using it in the recipe. You can also substitute buttermilk for the sour milk.)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of baking soda
- 4 cups of flour
- 2 teaspoons of cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon of allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon of cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg
- 1 cup of finely chopped raisins
- 1 cup of finely chopped nuts
- 1 tablespoon of baking powder
Nut Honey Cake Instructions:
- Cream together the honey, brown sugar, egg yolks and shortening.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients except the egg whites. Dissolve the baking soda in the sour milk before adding to the other ingredients. Mix well.
- Beat the 2 egg whites until stiff.
- Cut and fold the egg whites into the batter.
- Pour the batter into a well-greased and floured pan and bake for 40 minutes in a ‘moderate’ oven (about 350 degrees F).
- The recipe recommends icing this cake with a butter cream icing.