No-Bake Fruit Cake Recipe
This no bake fruit cake recipe from 1916 might be the origin of the old joke about fruit cakes lasting forever!
This cake will keep forever, according to the original author of the recipe, because there are no ingredients to turn rancid (butter, eggs, etc.).
And while the fruit cake is ‘keeping forever,’ the honey is forever keeping it moist!
What You’ll Need:
- 2 pounds of raisins
- 2 pounds of currants
- 2 pounds of dates
- 2 pounds of English walnuts
- 1/4 pound of candied lemon peel
- 1/4 pound of orange peel
- 1/3 pound of citron
- 1 cup of honey
- 6 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 cups of rolled oats
- 2 cups of whole wheat flower (To be precise, the original recipe calls for 2 cups of wheat ground not too finely in a coffee mill. So the actual quantity of flour would probably be somewhat less than 2 cups.)
- 1 teaspoon each of: cinnamon, cloves, allspice and nutmeg
- 2 cups of grape juice (or whatever type of fruit juice you prefer).
No Bake Fruit Cake Instructions:
- Combine the oats and wheat flour in a bowl and pour the fruit juice over. Let sit overnight.
- Chop fine all of the fruit, fruit peels, and nuts, and mix them all together.
- Combine all of the ingredients together and mix thoroughly.
- Line whatever type of pans you wish to use with waxed paper, and pour the mixture into the pans.
- Place a heavy weight on top of the mixture in the pans (to compress it, I assume) and allow to sit for 24 hours, after which the fruit cake will be ready to serve.
This recipe makes 11 pounds of fruit cake.