French Nougat Recipe
This French nougat recipe is made with lots of honey, and is described as a marshmallow-like candy.
It’s from an 1899 cookbook.
What You’ll Need:
- 1 quart of honey
- 1 pound of sugar
- 3 pounds of blanched almonds
- 12 egg whites
- Vanilla extract (sorry, the recipe doesn’t specify how much. I guess it depends upon how intense of a vanilla flavor you prefer. The recipe also recommends trying variations with strawberry flavoring and chocolate flavoring.)
French Nougat Instructions:
- Combine the sugar and honey in a saucepan.
- Whisk the egg whites and have the almonds ready to use.
- Heat the honey-sugar mixture over low heat, stirring until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Slowly blend in the egg whites and continue stirring until the mixture “will not stick to your fingers.” (Don’t burn yourself doing this test – especially while the mixture is still at the ‘will stick to your fingers’ stage!)
- Stir in the almonds and vanilla, and then spread the candy out in a layer 1/2 inch deep on waxed paper.
- Cut into bite-sized pieces once the candy has cooled.